DIY Cheese: Your Next Family Activity
Spending time together is good for families. Strengthening the bonds of affection between you and your kids is always a win-win proposition. Kids especially love hands-on activities. One awesome do-it-yourself project for a weekend afternoon is making homemade cheese. Expect tons of laughing, smiles and wonderful memories with your little cheese makers.
Cheese Making Tips for Families
Making cheese isn’t difficult, as long as you have a recipe to look at and some basic tools. Guarantee success with these helpful tips:
- Choose a kid-friendly cheese: Aged cheeses taste great, but have lots of extra steps. Fresh cheeses like ricotta and brie are virtually effortless for beginners.
- Shoot for short rest times: Cheddar can take months before it’s ready to eat. With made-from-scratch mozzarella, your kids have something to munch on five minutes after you’re done.
- Have everything ready: Assembling ingredients and utensils makes it easier for multiple people to work comfortably in the kitchen.
- Don’t expect perfection: Even if cheese doesn’t look perfect the first few times, it still tastes great. Focus on having fun.
Cheese Making Essentials
A few recipes only require milk and lemon juice. Most require specific cheese cultures and rennet to cause the cheese to curdle. Besides that, you’ll need tools. Stainless-steel utensils are preferable because they’re easier to disinfect in preparation for working with cheese cultures.
- Large stainless-steel stock pot – 3 gallons minimum
- Long-handled spoon
- Cheesecloth and colander
- Large mixing bowl
- Food thermometer
- Cheese mold
Awesome Health Benefits
Besides being tons of fun, making cheese also makes moms and dads happy because it’s healthy. Homemade cheese lets you decide what ingredients to use, such as organic, non-GMO milk from local farmers. The same processes used for cheese also apply to yogurt; with a yogurt strainer bag your family can make great yogurt with different kinds of fresh fruit. It’s healthy and tasty.
At The Cheesemaker, we have everything you need for an exciting and easy cheese- or yogurt-making experience. Check out our complete kits for mozzarella, ricotta and other delicious varieties. Contact us today to get started!
Igourmet Four Snacking Cheeses for Everyone, 2 PoundBundle – Set of 6 Farmers Market Gourmet Wisconsin Cheese Bricks Gift Basket Fondue Food BlocksJust The Cheese Bars, Crunchy Baked Low Carb Snack Bars – 100% Natural Cheese. High Protein and Gluten Free, Aged Cheddar (12 Two-Bar Packs)Wisconsin Specialty Cheese Blocks 7oz each (7 blocks)