Exploring the Old Village of Hill, New Hampshire, was an unforgettable experience. The small town relocated in 1941 because of a reservoir getting installed to help with flood control. It’s such a small area with a population of a little over 1000 people. I wasn’t sure what to expect when we first decided to check it out, but I was pleasantly surprised by all it had to offer. I can’t wait to tell you more about us exploring New Hampshire.
If you’re planning to visit Hill, there are some things you should know about it before you go. First, the area was initially called New Chester in 1753. It had that name for decades until the town agreed to change its name to Hill in 1837 to honor Isaac Hill. He was the governor of New Hampshire during that time.
There are a few municipalities in that area, including Bristol, Andover, Alexandria, and Franklin. In the year 2000, less than 1000 people lived in the area. Roughly 271 different families were calling Hill home. Despite its small size, it’s full of history, making it a great place to visit when you enjoy spending time outdoors. I wasn’t sure what to expect when we first arrived.
You may assume there isn’t much to do in such a small town with not many people living there, but Hill is a great place for active people who enjoy spending time outside. If you want to take in the fresh air and explore, this is the spot for you. Some of my favorite things to do in the area include visiting the Ragged Mountain Resort and checking out Profile Falls.
The Ragged Mountain Resort is an excellent spot to visit. It’s a ski complex with 57 trails and a terrain park. If you’re looking for a place to stay for outdoor hiking, cycling, and fun with the family, this is the spot to go.
- People come here at different times of the year. So, it doesn’t matter when you choose to travel. Whether it’s winter, summer, or even spring, you can head out on the trails and have an enjoyable experience sightseeing.
- The ski resort provides guests with options to go skiing. Even if you’ve never had the opportunity to do so, don’t hesitate when given a chance to get on the skis and head out on the slopes.
- It’s fun, exciting, and indeed a breathtaking experience that will leave you feeling accomplished.
I was a bit nervous about skiing with the kids, but we had an excellent time. Guides are available to provide help when it’s needed. You don’t need to worry about bringing your gear. It’s available for rent in all different sizes to ensure that everyone has the chance to get their gear before heading off on the slopes. Perhaps exploring and hiking NH is easier than I thought.
Experience nature up close and personal with a stop at the incredible Profile Falls. Not only will you get to see the refreshing waterfalls as close as possible, but you’ll also get to check out nature at its finest. It’s a lightly trafficked area with a trail that you can walk out for exercise while exploring.
- We had a great time standing by the incredible waterfalls and looking for different plants, birds, and insects that we could find while in the area.
- If you’re as into nature as myself and my loved ones, you’re going to have a great time making a stop at Profile Falls.
- You might not know that you can climb the area, stand on some of the large rocks, and even jump into the water. If you’d like to swim near a waterfall, this is an excellent opportunity for you to do just that.
- We spent hours near Profile Falls because it was that much fun! Don’t hesitate to explore the woods.
The trail in the area isn’t too long, so you won’t need to worry about feeling too tired to get any further. It’s the perfect place to spend a day when you want to have outdoor fun.
During our trip to Hill, New Hampshire, we had an incredible experience full of fun and laughter. We spent more time outside than we had in quite a while! We were out most of the time, whether we were hiking, skiing, swimming by the waterfalls, or even walking on the trails to look for insects, animals, and plants.
The memories made in Hill were priceless! It’s quickly become one of my favorite places to visit. Don’t let the idea of visiting a small town turn you away from heading to Hill. You won’t regret the trip you take to this small yet incredible area.
The more I learned about Old Village of Hill, NH I realized that exploring New Hampshire is a lot of fun and I can’t wait to explore new things!